Recorded with the intention of making "a pop album", the album's music featured a pop rock and soft rock sound characterized by accented rhythms and electric keyboards such as the Fender Rhodes or Hammond B3 organ. The members partied and used cocaine for much of the recording sessions, and its completion was delayed by its mixing process, but was finished by the end of 1976. Following the album's release, Fleetwood Mac undertook worldwide promotional tours. Rumours reached the top of both the US Billboard 200 and the United Kingdom Albums Chart, and became the band's most successful release. The songs "Go Your Own Way", "Dreams", "Don't Stop", and "You Make Loving Fun" were released as singles, all of which reached the US top 10.
Having won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978, Rumours has since sold over 40 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time, and has received diamond certifications in several countries, including the United States, Canada, and Australia. The album garnered widespread acclaim from critics, with praise centred on its production quality and harmonies, which frequently relied on the interplay among three vocalists and has inspired the work of musical acts in different genres.
Often considered Fleetwood Mac's best release, it has featured in several publications' lists of the best albums of the 1970s and of all time.
|A1||Second Hand News||2:43|
|A3||Never Going Back Again||2:02|
|A5||Go Your Own Way||3:38|
|B2||You Make Loving Fun||3:31|
|B3||I Don't Want To Know||3:11|
|B5||Gold Dust Woman||4:51|
- Published By – Intersong Music Ltd.
- Distributed By – WEA Records Ltd.
- Printed By – Gothic Print Finishers Ltd.
- Recorded At – Record Plant, Los Angeles
- Recorded At – Record Plant, Sausalito
- Recorded At – Wally Heider Recording Studio, Los Angeles
- Recorded At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Recorded At – Davlen Sound Studios
- Recorded At – Zellerbach Auditorium
- Mixed At – Producers Workshop
- Pressed By – Island Records Manufacturing Ltd
- Bass – John McVie
- Concept By – Fleetwood Mac
- Design – Desmond Strobel
- Drums, Percussion – Mick Fleetwood
- Engineer – Ken Caillat, Richard Dashut
- Engineer [Assisted By] – Cris Morris*
- Guitar, Vocals – Lindsey Buckingham
- Keyboards, Synthesizer, Vocals – Christine McVie
- Management – Seedy Management
- Mastered By – Allen*
- Photography By, Design [Concept By] – Herbert Worthington*
- Plated By – EG*
- Producer – Fleetwood Mac
- Producer [With] – Cris Morris*, Ken Caillat, Richard Dashut
- Vocals – Stevie Nicks